Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child: The Heart of Parenting
A Webcast Featuring Dr. John Gottman
April 06, 2011 03:00 PM
April 06, 2011 07:10 PM
Apr 06, 2011
from 10:00 am to 02:10 pm
|Contact Name||Katie Simmons|
|Add event to calendar||
Every parent knows the importance of equipping children with the intellectual skills they need to succeed in school and life. But the research shows that children also need to master their emotions.
In this talk, Dr. Gottman explains how to teach children to understand and regulate their emotional world. Once they master this important life skill, emotionally intelligent children will enjoy increased self-confidence, greater physical health, better performance in school, and healthier social relationships.
Throughout this talk, Dr. Gottman teaches listeners his five-step “emotion coaching” process that teaches how to:
- Be aware of a child’s emotions
- Recognize emotional expression as an opportunity for intimacy and teaching
- Listen empathetically and validate a child’s feelings
- Label emotions in words a child can understand
- Help a child come up with an appropriate way to solve a problem or deal with an upsetting issue or situation